In July, 2016, I visited a food forest farm in Costa Rica. I met David Dieterle, the creator of Té Namasté, at Tinamasete Farmers Market. He was selling jars of fresh turmeric tea while teaching people about the health benefits of turmeric. David took me on a tour of his food forest farm and explained how to make turmeric tea.
The Food Forest
David lives in a home surrounded by hundreds of medicinal food plants! He can just step outside and harvest a bounty of fresh foods everyday. David uses permaculture farming techniques to encourage the natural growth of indigenous plants. Here is a short list of the many plants growing in his food forest:
- Turmeric- the staple crop of David’s food forest, growing in numerous beds.
- Ginger- used in ancient Chinese medicine, a “carrier-herb” that increases the potency of other medicines.
- Sissoo Spinach- an edible ground cover that grows vigorously. Chickens love to eat this one!
- Cranberry Hibiscus- a colorful and tasty plant for salads, stir fries, and smoothies.
- Breadfruit- one of the highest yielding food plants, growing massive fruits with easy effort.
- Cocoa- a fruitful tree that makes our favorite treat, chocolate!
- Moringa- a drought resistant tree with super medicinal properties.
- Miracle Berry- a berry that when eaten turns sour tasting foods sweet. That’s magic!
Fresh Turmeric Tea
David’s fresh turmeric tea brought us together. Although his one-of-a-kind recipe is a secret, I can share some insight into the process of its creation. David begins by harvesting a bounty of fresh turmeric and ginger. The bulbs are washed, then processed in blenders. The turmeric/ginger mixture is then added to a concoction of coconut oil, honey, and Indian spices, brewing in a large pot for hours. The pulp is then strained out, while the liquid tea goes into jars for storage and sale.
Thanks for the adventure David. I created a turmeric tea recipe for people at home. It is simple, delicious, and nutritious. My friend Garrett says its his new favorite tea!
Create the world you want to see